I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to teach five lessons from the unit plan on "Autumn" (Grade 1) that I wrote for this course. The students really embraced the theme and we have been doing a lot of projects with Autumn leaves. I am consistently amazed at how much the students seem to appreciate the art lessons. I have been doing "Gallery Walks" with them at the end of each project so they can take a moment to appreciate the artwork of their classmates. Now, two weeks in, if we do a drawing activity and this step is omitted, I end up hearing a chorus of little voices announcing, "Miss Mitchell, you forgot the gallery walk!!" The consideration that the students have been showing for their classmates' art projects completely warms my heart. During the gallery walks I constantly hear students telling each other how beautiful their work is or how much they love this or that part of it.
Last week we used leaves to do rubbings with wax crayons, and then turned it into a water colour resistance painting. They were so proud of their paintings! I'm in the process of matting them with black construction paper and I'm making a bulletin board early Monday morning. The kids don't know that I'm doing this; I can't wait to surprise them!
A few things that we've "known" all along but now I've really gotten to see in action:
1. Young students are capable of a much higher level of artwork than we often times give them credit for. Don't assume they can't do it.
2. Creating a beautiful piece of artwork really does boost their confidence more than we can possibly imagine.
3. There's nothing better than helping students that think they aren't "artistic" make a project that they are really proud of.

5 comments:
I found it neat to have students latch on to a thoughtful routine so much that when it is omitted they are upset.
It just goes to show how much these students appreciate all the thought, preparation and attention that is put into each lesson, let alone how much they appreciate you for helping them learn.
I totally agree with your ideas of what is "known" but that you got to see in action. I have often thought that we do not give students enough credit for many things and not just in the fine arts.
I also wanted to mention the idea of students latching onto an idea. I had students give me a thumbs up in one lesson to show that they were ready and after that I had one student who did it every lesson. I guess he liked it. Just goes to show how children never cease to amaze.
I enjoyed the art you brought.
I only had a chance to teach one art lesson during my practicum, with a follow up lesson just to finish things up because, probably to no one's surprise, I found it a rare day that a lesson could be completed in the time alloted. I taught my class a technique, a skill, and I also found that they rose to the challenge and became very engaged in trying to learn something new to them. I think I have concluded, after looking at the art in the art show, that we should try to be more adventurous because our students are capable of more than we think they are. Or at least I shall be more adventurous. I also think that your students had the benefit of your preparation and teaching.
I love the idea of the Gallery Walk, I think I'll be using that one at my next opportunity. =) I think it's really important to teach students to appreciate each other's art as well as their own.
I sure am glad that I've chosen the elementary stream: the children are open to growing in every realm as their self-talk or peer dynamics & modeling have not been set in stone. I think it's not just the teacher, but the kids themselves that benefit the most from discovering a new skill, way of knowing, etc.
I'll have to try out your gallery walks in the next practicum.
Post a Comment