Saturday, November 22, 2008

I hate singing, but...

To clarify that, I hate singing *in public*. I quite love singing to the radio in the car, or in the shower, or really anywhere where no one can hear me, but I do not enjoy singing in public because generally I sound like some kind of dying animal. It seems that I am completely tone-deaf and I find singing in public to be pretty humiliating. However - performing arts is part of this blog, so...
In Grade 7 I was lucky enough to be in an elementary school that had a class set of guitars, and I was even luckier to have a teacher who loved teaching guitar lessons. Guitar made up 90% of our fine arts curriculum that year and loved every minute of it. I kept taking lessons at Sight and Sound (until they closed their downtown location) and at one point could actually claim to be able to play guitar. Those days are long gone but I figured I couldn't have forgotten THAT much (right?) and took my guitar in to be tuned.
Turns out, actually, yes, you can forget THAT much over ten or twelve years. But I downloaded some music and found my book of guitar chords and managed to choke out one of my favourite songs - available here: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.xguitar.com/guitar-tabs/coldplay/parachutes/dont_panic.txt
Not brave enough to post a video, but pictures will follow later this week :)

2 comments:

Josie said...

I definately agree with you about the singing in public thing...I hate it, but I have no problem belting out a tune during the car ride to school! I have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I actally say down and tried once, but it doesn't really work well when you try and teach yourself something that is completely unfamilar. I think that is awesome that you were able to learn in elementary school.

Janine said...

You play the guitar, too? Maybe we should jam lol:) You're probably a much better player than I am, though!